“Every effort to hold on to something blocks the arrival of something new that could change your life”
It was on the 1st of January 1995 a momentous decision was taken to redefine the definition of safe blood in Chennai and India.
On that day, we decided to setup Jeevan Blood Bank and Research Centre as a not for profit blood centre in Chennai, India. Thanks to the support of the community over 21 years Jeevan could achieve the following:
- 150,700 voluntary blood donations. We have remained committed to voluntary blood donations
- 377,000 units of the safest blood components provided to patients in Chennai
- Highest level of safety in blood transfusion in Chennai
- First Blood Bank in India to be certified to ISO standards in 1999. Remained so till 2010 when Jeevan became the first independent blood bank in South India to be accredited to NABH standards in 2010 and remained as the only accredited independent blood bank in Chennai till the last day.
- Introduced to India the hospital blood storage centre concept in 2000 which became a national policy on 16 December 2001
- In 2005 showed the world that Leptospirosis can be transmitted through blood transfusion
Over the last three years (2014 to 2017), maintaining the highest level of blood safety and remaining financially sustainable became impossible for Jeevan’s blood bank operations.
Hence, with profound sadness we announced the decision to close the blood bank operations as of 28 February 2017.
Thank You, Chennai, for giving us an opportunity to serve you for 21 years.
Jeevan continues to scale-up the BeTheCUre Registry consisting of the largest active Public Cord Blood Bank in the SAARC region and the Bone Marrow Donor Registry.
Join us in our effort to enable quick and free or affordable access to matching stem cells and give hope of finding a match to 70% of Indians with blood cancers and Thalassemia, that they do not have today.