Public Cord Blood Bank
We are cord blood donors!
Jeevan creates happy homes by its Public Cord Blood Bank services and makes treatment easier for children who suffer fatal diseases, spreading a ray of hope among those in need.
The first successful sibling cord blood transplant for Fanconi’s anaemia in 1989 paved the way for other sibling and unrelated transplants.There have now been over 30,000 unrelated and related donor cord blood transplants performed worldwide. These have demonstrated the efficacy of cord blood transplantation, even in cases where there is in complete tissue type matching between donor and recipient.
cord blood is a good alternative to other stem cells for adults and children with malignant and non-malignant disease. Unrelated cord blood transplants result in good outcome in children transplanted in remission and with inborn errors and immune deficiencies.
What is a Public Cord Blood Bank ?
A Public Cord Blood Bank is one, where a family donates their baby’s cord blood , at no cost to them, for use by anyone across the world, subject to compatibility.
Why is a public bank needed?
It is needed in the following situations:
- No matching donor in their own family
- No unrelated donor in bone marrow registries
- An immediate requirement of stem cells.
- To make available Umbilical Cord blood derived stem cells to patients in India either free of charge for the economically deprived, on a cost recovery basis for those who can afford and at the prescribed fee for those Indians living abroad.
- To offer cord blood units to advance medical research.
- To raise public awareness about stem cell transplant treatments.
- To raise public awareness about the need for a Public Cord Blood Bank and cord blood donation.
- To link Jeevan Stem Cell Blood Bank with the global network of cord blood registries.
Just about anyone, in any part of the world can access the database of a Public Cord Blood Bank and search for a potential match. With your support, Jeevan’s Public Cord Blood Bank will help thousands of patients find a cure for their diseases.
Through Jeevan you could help make a difference by donating your baby’s cord blood. All you need to do is provide details about the current pregnancy, a few medical details and family history for certain medical conditions. Based on this information, your eligibility to donate is decided. Once collected, screened and found fit for storage, your baby’s stem cells will be stored as per international guidelines until needed by someone.